DBS: How to apply for DBS Checks through ITC

March 2020 Update

Our DBS service is still running but we're remote now so please don't send forms to the Albany, email our Legal & Industrial Relations Manager, Jackie, for the address they should go to.

ITC has been a DBS Registered Body since the DBS was first established (as the CRB) over a decade ago. This means that we counter-sign Disclosure Applications for our members. Unlike many other Registered Bodies we do not make an administration charge for this service, you just pay the DBS charge for each application.

If you want to use ITC for DBS checks please email Jackie at the ITC office first, however, the information you need is set out below as a useful check list as you go through the process.

Update Service: Always remind applicants that they can now sign up for the DBS Update Service, which enables them to take their DBS Certificate with them from role to role, this should be done when a new application is being made and costs £13 a year.

The DBS says that Registered Bodies must have a signed, written Agreement with users. So if you’re new to the ITC DBS Disclosure Service please make sure that you get a copy of this document from ITC and return it to us with your first DBS forms.

How do you get DBS Application Forms?

  • The potential employee must phone the DBS on one of the numbers below -
    • Disclosure Application Line: 0300 0200 190
    • Welsh Application Line 0300 0200 191

    • Minicom: 0300 0200 192
  • They must say that the Registered Body is the Independent Theatre Council and quote our number 20712100000.
  • The Disclosure level will be Enhanced in most cases, if in doubt call ITC.

What happens next?

  • The applicant will answer some questions on the phone and will be sent a partly completed Application Form that they should check, complete and sign in box E.59, which indicates their consent to a Disclosure check.
  • The applicant should bring their Form to you with appropriate, original identity documents for checking. There is substantial guidance on i-d checking on here.
  • If you are satisfied with the proofs of identity cross the relevant boxes marked “registered body use only” and also answer Question W.59 on page 4. Give the i-d documents back to the applicant.
  • You should also complete Section X. In line 1 of s.61 you must state either “Child workforce”. “Adult workforce”, “Child and adult workforce” or “Other workforce” depending on who the applicant will be working with (contact ITC if you are uncertain about this) and then put the job title in the second line.
  • The form should then be forwarded to ITC for counter-signature in Section Y.

Be certain that you can make a DBS check

You cannot usually ask potential employees about their criminal records but you can get DBS Checks if they will be working with children or vulnerable adults.

There are some other roles that are also exemptions to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which means that a DBS check can be requested. A full list of these can be found at here.

What level of DBS check do you need?

There are three types of DBS Check, Standard, Enhanced and Enhanced with barred list check. In most cases you will need Enhanced Checks: -

Standard DBS check:

Standard checks contain details of an individual’s convictions, cautions, reprimands or warnings recorded on police central records and includes both 'spent' and 'unspent' convictions. These are shown on a criminal records check.

Enhanced DBS check:

An enhanced check contains the same details as a standard check, together with any information held locally by police forces that it is reasonably considered might be relevant to the post applied for.

Enhanced DBS with barred list check

In some cases a check of the list of those barred from working with children or vulnerable adults can be made as part of an Enhanced DBS. These are only appropriate when the applicants will be engaged in “regulated activity” with children or vulnerable adults (plus a small number of other roles e.g. prospective adoptive parents).
Regulated Activity is defined in the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and the DBS provides guidance on how to decide when a post requires a barred list check.

How to be sure that you are completing the DBS application form correctly

General rules

  • Write clearly in CAPITAL LETTERS using black ink.
  • Place only one letter or number in each box.
  • If any of the fields are not relevant to the application, please leave them blank. Do not strike through any of the sections or state that a field is ‘not applicable’ or ‘N/A’
  • Do not write outside the boxes on any part of the form, including the front page
  • Don’t place any stickers or stamps on the form, for example address labels
  • Do not use correction fluid
  • If you make a mistake when choosing one of the X boxes, place a cross in the correct box and circle it.
  • If you make a mistake when writing in your or the applicant’s details, put a line through the mistake and write the correct information alongside it in the next available text box to the right. If this doesn’t leave you with enough space, then you must include it instead on the official continuation sheet, which can be downloaded from here.
  • Use the continuation sheets to record any information that is required but which will not fit in the boxes provided on the application form
  • Include the application form reference number (located on the front of the form) along with the name and date of birth of the applicant on the continuation sheet to ensure it can be matched up to the form
  • Do not attach anything to the form by any means, place continuation sheets inside the form.

Section “A”

Section ‘A’ requires the applicant, to record their full name, gender, date and place of birth and other information relating to their personal documentation. Always check that the applicant has included all middle names, these are often overlooked. You should complete the box marked “registered body use only” indicating the i-d that you have seen.

Section “B”

  • Section B should be used for the applicant’s permanent home address, where the DBS Disclosure Certificate should be sent.
  • Applicants who do not have a straightforward address history because they are, or have in the last five years been:
  • Students who have listed college and parental addresses they must indicate on a continuation sheet (not on the form) which of the addresses provided is the more permanent residences.
  • DBS does not require address details where work takes an applicant away from their permanent address for a day or two. So where someone has gone on tour with a company the various digs addresses will not be needed, if they spent a substantial time at company base as part of the engagement this address (if not their main address) should be included.
  • Applicants who live or who have lived at a women’s refuge or other type of sheltered accommodation in the last five years must give details of the address but they should not make any reference to the nature of the address.

Section “C”

Always remind applicants that there should be no gaps in their address history. This means that the month and year that they left one address should match the month and year that they moved into the next address.

Section “W”

This check is done by the employer. You must complete box 59.

Section “X”

This section should be completed by the employer.

  • Question 61: Put “Child workforce”, “Adult workforce”, “Child and adult workforce” or “Other workforce”, as appropriate in line 1 and the applicant’s job title in line 2.
  • Question 63: Level of check will be Enhanced in the majority of cases.
  • Questions 64-66: These must be completed if you are applying for an Enhanced Check. Be sure the applicant will be undertaking “Regulated Activity” before asking for barred list checks.
  • Question 67: Do complete this section.
  • Question 68: If someone is working for no pay but getting work experience e.g as part of a course or as an intern, the DBS considers that they are not volunteers since they are getting a benefit in kind, so their Disclosure will have to be paid for.

Section “Y”

This is completed by ITC please do not sign the box!

How to pay for DBS Checks

ITC has to pay the DBS on account so please pay ITC by BACS for each Disclosure.

  • Enhanced Disclosures cost £40
  • Standard Disclosures cost £23
  • Volunteers are free of charge but remember the DBS considers that work experience and internships are not voluntary posts even if they are unpaid, so a fee will be payable.

Our bank account number is 61291572, sort code 40 06 21, please use reference “DBS”. Please enclose your BACS payment confirmation sheet when you send DBS forms to ITC as we will not despatch forms without proof of payment.