This full day training course combines the fundamentals on employment law, recruitment and appraisals for those working in the performing arts industry.
By the end of the day you will be able to:
- Recruit fairly: with an understanding of Equal Opportunities recruitment and discrimination law
- Recruit lawfully: knowing when you need to carry out pre-employment checks, such as DBS and immigration status
- Contract confidently: learn how to decide when you are contracting employees and when engaging freelances
- Manage staff on a day to day basis: the day will outline holiday rights, family friendly leave and pay, health & safety requirements and how data protection law relates to employment practice.
- Appraise effectively: participants will learn how to prepare fully and how to apply questioning skills
- Dismiss employees fairly and correctly
“The course was really helpful and gave me a strong grounding in all the essentials that I can now build on to improve HR within the company.” Sarah Wrixon, Sixth Sense Theatre
This course will be particularly helpful to anyone who manages staff and who does not have an HR department within their company.
The course is an informal mix of the trainers’ presentations and exercises. There will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions and share your own experiences. Course notes and reference materials are provided.
Jackie Elliman is ITC’s Legal & Industrial Relations Manager. Jackie studied Drama at Manchester University and Law at the College of Law and has worked for Equity, UK Theatre/SOLT and a wide range of performing arts companies. She is a trained lawyer, mediator and arbitrator and regularly advises ITC members on employment law issues.
Charlotte Jones is Chief Executive of ITC. She trained as a lawyer and has many years’ experience of managing staff and advising arts and voluntary organisations on a range of management and legal issues.
£125+VAT (£150) for ITC members and £175+VAT (£210) for non-members.
The Albany, Douglas Way, London, SE8 4AG
For more information please call us on 0207 403 1727