COVID-19 UPDATE: It is with regret that we have taken the decision to postpone this training course which was due to take place on Tuesday 24 March 2020 at the Albany, London; we plan to reschedule it in the Autumn.
For those who have already booked, we will transfer your place on to the next course and keep you informed as of the new date.
We have been dealing with a high level of calls from members regarding Covid-19 and would like to reassure all ITC members that we are available to advise you on this. Our advice service is open Monday - Friday. Please do email or call us (0207 403 1727) and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We will continue to update website with new information which can be found here
Thank you for your understanding at this time.
This full day training course combines the fundamentals on employment law, recruitment and appraisals for those working in the performing arts industry.
By the end of the day you will be able to:
- Recruit fairly: with an understanding of Equal Opportunities recruitment and discrimination law
- Recruit lawfully: knowing when you need to carry out pre-employment checks, such as DBS and immigration status
- Contract confidently: learn how to decide when you are contracting employees and when engaging freelances
- Manage staff on a day to day basis: the day will outline holiday rights, family friendly leave and pay, health & safety requirements and how data protection law relates to employment practice.
- Appraise effectively: participants will learn how to prepare fully and how to apply questioning skills
- Dismiss employees fairly and correctly
“The course was really helpful and gave me a strong grounding in all the essentials that I can now build on to improve HR within the company.” Sarah Wrixon, Sixth Sense Theatre
This course will be particularly helpful to anyone who manages staff and who does not have an HR department within their company.
An informal mix of the trainer’s presentation and group discussion. There will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions and share your own experiences. Course notes and reference materials are provided.
Charlotte Jones is Chief Executive of ITC. She trained as a lawyer and has many years’ experience of managing staff and advising arts and voluntary organisations on a range of management and legal issues.
£135+VAT (£162) for ITC members and £195+VAT (£234) for non-members. Early Bird rates available three weeks in advance.
This course is part of our General Manager & Administrator Package, click here for more information
The Albany, Douglas Way, London, SE8 4AG
The training room will open at 10am please arrive ready to start promptly at 10:30am.
For more information or to discuss access needs, please call 0207 403 1727 or email us
Bookings are registered on receipt of the course fee. As there is are limited places on our courses places are allocated on a first come, first served basis. Outstanding payments may be cancelled in order for others to book and attend. Please find our full booking terms and conditions, including the cancellation policy here.